Saturday, May 15, 2010

Mayo-Day One 2008

Mayo-Day 1
Posted Apr 6, 2009 9:17pm

I am going to backtrack a moment...we had a great flight yesterday, I ended up have a whole row of seats to myself on both flights. Apparently not many people go to Rochester, MN. On the second flight there were only 8 people or so. We had a shuttle to the hotel, and Mayo Clinic paid for it. The hotel room is very nice:) Thank you Suzanne for setting up the flight and rooms. When we got here, at 3ish, I slept until 8. We ate something and then I slept until this morning at 8.

I had to fast last night, so a woke up and we took a shuttle to Mayo, which we can see out of our back door, and is attached by sky way, but quite a walk. The Mayo Clinic itself is amazing. There is so much artwork on the walls and so many shops to look at. It is like our cab driver said, "it's a city under a city." So anyway, I filled out about eight pages of paperwork and then saw Dr. Petersen. He is a really nice man. He started at the beginning and asked me tons of questions. We reviewed images and talked about the order that things happened in, as well as how long certain issues had been going on, etc. He said that he was my new "quarterback" at Mayo, as Dr. Burkart is in Winston. He is coordinating ever thing as far as talking to different specialties and such. He asked me why I was here, and I said #1 to verify a diagnosis, #2 TO GET MY LIFE BACK! He agreed, and said he try to help me get it back.

So, after we finished there we waited about 30 minutes and they worked up an itinerary for the rest of my stay. It is amazing they can get one together so quickly! Not only that, it is detailed and they tell you exactly what you need to know as far as fasting and such. At some point I will have a Doppler to check for blood clots in my leg, as well as a bone density scan to make sure the chemo and prednisone are not affecting my bones too badly.

Day One (Today): I saw Dr. Petersen, had to pee in a cup, and had 18 VIALS of blood drawn. (Talk about light-headed)

Day 2: 11:00 am- Dr. Petersen again
1:45- Dr. Ytterberg- Rheumatology
Day 3: 8:30am- Hematology, Coagulation Lab/Consultation
Day 4: 1:30pm St. Marys Hospital for abdominal MRI (never had one of those)
Day 5: As of now we have no plans, but I am sure that will change as we get results of tests back.

We ate at an Italian place called Victoria's. It was SO YUMMY! I have pasta primavera, after having that much blood drawn I had to yet something good. We then looked at some of the shops underground as we walked back to the hotel through the sky way. It is really neat the way things are set up.

The weather is great, no snow. It was 36ish today, and I LOVED it. It was the first time in awhile that I have not sweat like crazy all day. I only had one episode of it today vs. 20.

I have heard from a lot of people that Nana's viewing and service went well and there were a lot of people there. I am so glad so many people were able to celebrate this wonderful woman's life. Cheston, thank you for going to everything in my place. NANA I LOVE YOU and hope I am where I should be.

My mom and I are getting ready to eat a little frozen pizza and popcorn and watch TV, so I am going to go. I hope everyone is doing well!

Much Love,
Kinsley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers